Easter Road station was a two platform station in a very constrained site. To the west of Easter Road, which crossed over the line to the immediate west, was Leith Walk East Goods which was a large goods station with headshunts just west of the road bridge. The goods station was on the south side of the line and sidings for works were on the north side. To the east of the station was Easter Road Junction between the lines to London Road Junction [Edinburgh] to the south and Lochend South Junction to the east.
These constrictions led to an unusual layout with the Granton and North Leith bound platform extending east of the junction to run down the west side of the line to London Road Junction [Edinburgh]. With the vast majority of passenger trains coming from that direction, rather than from Lochend South Junction, this was acceptable although led to an unusual layout and signalling. The opposite platform was short, and extended under Easter Road to the signal box which faced the turn out for Leith Walk East Goods. As a result platforms were staggered. The box had been replaced in 1901.
Neither platform was of any great length.
There were typical North British Railway buildings facing each other to the east of the road bridge and a booking office on east side of the bridge above.
The station closed in 1947. The lines were singled in the 1970s, (single track operation to the north beyond Easter Road began in 1970) with the eastbound line from Lochend Junction being retained and the westbound line from London Road Junction [Edinburgh]. These connected below Easter Road itself allowing access to both Leith Walk East Goods and Granton. After closure of both the lines were retained as a turning triangle and for possible reuse for some time, reopening for traffic to Powderhall, but with the link from London Road Junction [Edinburgh] lifted.
The signal box was burned down in 1977 and replaced with a temporary box until Edinburgh Signalling Centre was able to take control later in the year.
The line is now out of use. Both platforms survive although the northern of the two has been cut back to only the east of the road bridge.
Easter Road Park Halt
Balfour Street [Tram]
McDonald Road [Tram]
Leith Walk [CR]
Foot of the Walk [Tram]
Picardy Place [Tram]
York Place [Tram]
| Easter Road Junction|
St Andrew Steel Works
Easter Road Stadium
St Ann^s Maltings
Leith Walk East Goods
London Road Junction [Edinburgh]
Lochend North Junction
Rose Lane Goods
Croit an Righ Brewery
Shrubhill Tram Depot
St Ann^s Brewery
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|03/07/1891||Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway|
The Leith New Lines (Caledonian Railway) are given an Act which allows a link from the Leith New Lines to Easter Road on the North British Railway. This connection was not built.
|01/12/1891||Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway|
Easter Road passenger station opened.
|16/06/1947||Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway|
Passenger services to North Leith withdrawn. Easter Road, Bonnington, Junction Road and North Leith stations closed on withdrawal of Leith to Edinburgh via Abbeyhill service.