This junction was to the south of Trinity [2nd] station. The signal box was located on the west side.
The original 1842 Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway was met by the 1868 Easter Road Deviation (North British Railway) which gave less direct but also less steep access to the Granton and Leith Citadel branches.
The opening of the deviation coincided with the closure of the line south from Scotland Street station, which closed to passengers.
This was originally a double track junction, over which passed Newhaven Junction of the Leith North Branch (Caledonian Railway). This was later modified, the line running south to Warriston Junction singling to the immediate south before redoubling.
The southbound line closed in early 1968, the box surviving for a few months longer. The remaining line was singled, the northbound line being lifted. Closure came in 1986.
Newhaven [Leith New Lines]
East Pilton Halt
| Newhaven Junction|
Newhaven Goods and Minerals
Ferry Road Junction
Bonnington North Junction
Leith High Depot Junction
Chancelot Mills [1st]
Bonnington Viaduct [CR]
Bonnington East Junction
Bonnington North Viaduct
Bonnington South Viaduct
Boswell Road Temporary Signal Box
Bonnington (Rosebank) Goods
Trinity Chain Pier
Bonnington Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|02/03/1868||Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway|
A new diversion opened to goods (Abbeyhill and Piershill to Trinity Junction with a spur onto the [North] Leith branch at Bonnington East Junction). This by-passed the cable operated incline between Canal Street [Edinburgh] and Scotland Street.