Location type


Names and dates

Botriphnie (1862-1863)
Auchindachy (1863-1968)

Opened on the Keith and Dufftown Railway.


This was a two platform station with a passing loop. Today the former southbound line remains in place, the southbound platform and station building, in use as a house.

When first opened the original platform was the later southbound platform.

There was a goods yard to the north of the station, on the east side. This was approached from the north.

The original box may have been at the north end, alongside the River Isla. In 1895 north and south boxes and a loop opened. The north box, beyond the north end of the northbound platform, closed in 1931. It had been taken over by the south box, on the southbound platform, south of the station building.

The signal box and loop closed in 1964.

The nearby Speyside line closed to passengers in 1965.

In 1968 the secondary route between Keith and Elgin [East] via Dufftown closed to passengers. The Speyside line closed beyond Aberlour and the Elgin [East] route closed beyond Craigellachie. Auchindachy station closed.

In 1971 the line was closed completely beyond Dufftown.

The line remained open to Dufftown for freight. It closed officially in 1991, but the track remained.

The railway became a preserved railway in 1998. Auchindachy is now a private house and so has not reopened as a station. The line by the house, however, is now in use.




Botriphnie [1st]

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67


  /10/1862Keith and Dufftown Railway
Botriphinie renamed Auchindachy.