This 1903 signal box controlled access to Bargany Colliery which was on the south side of the line and approached from the north east. The box was on the north side of the line.
Bargany Colliery closed in 1967 but the box survived this.
Indeed the box survived closure of most of the other boxes on the line between Ayr and Girvan, with the exception of those at Belmont Level Crossing, Dalrymple Junction, Kilkerran and Girvan No 1 [2nd] , and closed with the others (except Belmont) in 1973 when the line was singled south of Dalrymple Junction. In 1973 ground frame was installed, now gone.
| Bargany Colliery|
Craighead Lime Works
Dalquharran 1,2 Mine
Dalquharran Tile Works
Romilly Colliery Maxwell No 2 Colliery
Dalquharran Signal Box
Maxwell No 4 Colliery
Girvan Grangeston Depot
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|