Belford

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Belford (1847-1968)

Opened on the Newcastle and Berwick Railway.


Description

This was a two platform station on the north side of a level crossing. The fine two storey station building was on the northbound platform.

There was a goods yard on the west side, approached from the north, with sidings and coal drops.

On the east side was a loop, enclosing the southbound platform, and large goods shed.

The line northwards was quadrupled (the Crag Mill Loops). A siding, accessed by a reversing spur, served Easington Quarry (or Slater Quarry) to the east. Further sidings were added to serve a grain depot on the west side of the station.

The station had a gantry signal box mounted over the line just north of the level crossing.

Cragg Mill, a short lived station and later a siding, was to the north.

The station closed in 1968.

The station building is now 'Old Station House B&B '.

A former railway cottage to the east of the level crossing is now 'The Old Station Cottage ' accommodation.

Belford itself is a mile to the west.

Local

Bamburgh Castle is four miles to the east of the former station.

Nearby the castle is Bamburgh Castle Golf Club and the RNLI's Grace Darling Museum .

09/01/2019

Tags

Station

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map