This is a two platform station. The station building is above the westbound platform with a footbridge running to the eastbound platform. To the south of the station is the car park. The station serves the north west of Coatbridge.
The station originally had a ticket office and footbridge at the west end. There were waiting rooms on each platform. The main station building, supported on arches, sat above the westbound platform. This was demolished in the 1990s.
The station had no goods yard.
To the west was the signal box and junction for Drumpellie Colliery Pit No 3, Gartsherrie Colliery Pit No 1, Gartsherrie Colliery Pit No 2 and an extensive network of colliery lines to the north of the railway. The box closed in 1960 during re-signalling for electrification preparations, taken over by Sunnyside Junction box.
Gartsherrie House was to the north, now lost under the Coatbridge Freightliner Terminal.
Coatbridge Central [NB]
Gartsherrie [M and K]
| Coal Pit|
Gartsherrie Iron Works Signal Box
Gartsherrie Shed [GGR]
Gartsherrie Ore Sidings
Coatbridge Freightliner Terminal
Gartsherrie Iron Works
Summerlee West Signal Box
Summerlee Iron Works
Gunnie South Signal Box
Summerlee East Signal Box
Summerlee Heritage Centre
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|10/09/1951||Glasgow, Bothwell, Hamilton and Coatbridge Railway|
Bothwell [North British] to Blairhill via Coatbridge (Sunnyside Junction) closed to passengers. Bellshill [NB] closed. Some irregular passenger trains continue to use the line.