Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.Opened on the Glasgow, Bothwell, Hamilton and Coatbridge Railway.
This junction on the North British Railway's Hamilton branch was between the line running south and east to Hamilton [NBR] and the Blantyre Branch to Blantyre Pits. To the north the line ran over the Craighead Viaduct to Bothwell [North British].
There was a locomotive shed here Greenfield Shed and a goods shed. The junction and sidings were controlled by Blantyre Junction Signal Box in the 'V' of the junction.
The line north was closed in 1952 (the box closed), a new British Railways link at Peacock Cross allowing closure. Following this the former junction became a single track reversing spur. The former Caledonian Railway bridge to the north over the line was able to be infilled (the line crossing over was 14 lines wide).
This 1952 link was replaced with a new link from Strathaven Junction to the Blantyre Branch in 1963 which allowed closure of the Blantyre Junction to Peacock Cross section. The 1963 link and stub of the Auchinraith branch closed in 1980. The stub served Birdsfield Siding.
Bothwell [North British]
Bothwell Park Halt
Meikle Earnock Halt
Calderwood Glen Platform
| Greenfield Shed|
Craighead Yard [Empty]
Craighead BP Chemicals Siding
C W Ireland Works
Craighead Yard [Loaded]
Greenfield Colliery Pits Nos 1 and 2
Whistleberry Colliery Pits Nos 1 and 2
Whitehill Wagon Works
Strathaven Junction Yard
Auchinraith Junction [NBR]
Craighead Colliery Pits Nos 1 and 2
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|