This was a seven span 727 ft double track viaduct over the River Clyde with metalwork built by the Dalmarnock Iron Works. This viaduct on the North British Railway^s Hamilton branch crossed the River Clyde just south of Bothwell and east of Blantyre. The condition of the viaduct led to the line being cut back to Bothwell [North British], just to the north, in 1952. Formerly the line had continued south to Craighead Signal Box, Auchenraith, and Hamilton [NBR].
The ashlar piers of this viaduct have been removed, the stone recovered for other purposes.
Bothwell [North British]
Bothwell Park Halt
| Craighead Signal Box|
Craighead Colliery Pits Nos 1 and 2
Blantyre Junction [CR]
Whistleberry Colliery Pits Nos 1 and 2
Craighead Yard [Loaded]
Bothwell Castle Colliery Pits Nos 1 and 2
Craighead BP Chemicals Siding
Blantyre Junction [NBR]
Craighead Yard [Empty]
C W Ireland Works
David Livingstone Centre
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|15/09/1952||Glasgow, Bothwell Hamilton and Coatbridge Railway|
Hamilton [NBR] to Bothwell [North British] (excluded) closed to passengers due to the Craighead Viaduct over the Clyde having been undermined. (Also given as the 13th of September). Signal boxes along route closed but track retained until approx 1955.