Bothwell [CR]

Location type


Name and dates

Bothwell [CR] (1877-1950)

Opened on the Bothwell Branch (Caledonian Railway).

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.


This two platform terminus had an all-over roof. It was located immediately east of Bothwell [North British] beside the war memorial.

The goods yard was on the east side of the passenger station. There was a turntable at the north end on the west side of the line.

Despite being nearby there were no sidings to serve Bothwell Castle Colliery Pits Nos 1 and 2 to the west of the North British Railway station.

The signal box was at the station throat, on the west side of the line.

The line was singled in 1929 when the signal box closed. The line closed altogether in 1950.

After closure the roof was demolished and the side walls remained for some years. This was then converted into a factory.

Nothing now remains of the station, turntable (to the north/west of the line) and goods yard (the south/east side of the line). The site is now housing.

Two station cottages remain to the north of the station site.



External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67