This is a two platform station elevated above surrounding streets.
The station was opened in 1888 on a line dating from 1870. It opened around the time Carntyne was expanding and the Parkhead Forge, to the south west, was to expand too in the 1890s. In particular, in 1886 the Glasgow City and District Railway had extended the railway west under the city centre and several new stations opened on existing lines in connection with this.
After opening the station gained a small goods yard to the west, on the south side of the line and approached from the west. Sidings for works were to open on either side too.
The station had minimal North British Railway style buildings.
The signal box, opened 1900, was at the west end of the eastbound platform. The box closed in 1960, during the preparation for electrification, taken over by Parkhead North Junction.
London Road [Glasgow]
Mount Vernon North
| Carntyne Dyewood Mills|
Carntyne Iron and Steel Works
Carntyne Crane Works
Carntyne Railway Wheel and Axle Works
North British Bottle Works
Frankfield Brick Works
Shettleston West Signal Box
Shettleston Iron Works
Parkhead Junction [NB]
Parkhead East Signal Box
Eastbank Girder Works
Acme Tube Works
Parkhead Tram Depot
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|