At Castlehill Junction, immediately east of Ardrossan Town, the Ardrossan and Johnstone Railway was met by the west fork of the Largs Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway). The box was located to the north of the junction and opened with the Largs branch in 1878.
The location was complicated by loops on the line from Holm Junction to the east, the division of the lines running west to Ardrossan Town splitting into passenger lines, goods lines and carriage sidings. Further lines were associated with Ardrossan Shed [GSW] [2nd] which was within the triangle of lines here. A turntable to the east was approached from the junction, convenient for turning locomotives which terminated in Ardrossan.
The Castlehill Junction to Holm Junction curve closed in 1969 and the box closed.
The original line remains open, now a single track electrified line.
Ardrossan South Beach
Ardrossan Montgomerie Pier
Ardrossan Winton Pier
| Ardrossan Shed [GSW] [1st]|
Ardrossan Shed [GSW] [2nd]
Ardrossan North Goods
Ardrossan North Shed
Ardrossan Harbour Signal Box
Ardrossan Ship Yard
Ardrossan Staiths [1st]
Ardrossan Old Dock
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/01/1968||Largs Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Ardrossan Castlehill Junction to Parkhouse Junction closed to passengers.
|30/09/1969||Largs Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Ardrossan Castlehill Junction to Parkhouse Junction closed to freight.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Ardrossan (North) 1895: Ayrshire Sheet 16.01 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Ayrshire)
Ardrossan (South) 1895: Ayrshire Sheet 16.05 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Ayrshire)
Gourock to Largs Coast Through Time
Kilwinning 1895: Ayrshire Sheet 16.04 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Ayrshire)
Largs 1895: Ayrshire Sheet 03.12 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Ayrshire)
Old West Kilbride
Origins of the Scottish Railway System 1722-1844
The Glasgow & South Western Railway a History