This station was a terminus on the south side of the River Ayr which separated it from the village of Catrine. The village has since expanded to the south bank.
It was the terminus of a short single track railway from Brackenhill Junction, trains running from the nearby Mauchline station.
The station had a long single platform with building alongside a rounding loop, on its west side. There was another long narrow platform on the east side.
Railmotor No 1, built 1904 and designed by Robert Whitelegg, was used for the service from Mauchline.
The goods yard was on the west side with shed and loading bank. There was a turntable at the south end of the loop, coming off the loop line. The large signal box was at the south (Mauchline) end of the platform.
The box closed in 1932, the line going to one-engine-in-steam operation. Closure to passengers was in 1943. The branch closed altogether in 1964. The station had remained almost entirely intact, including station building, until the end.
The site is now parkland (the southern end of the former site) and built over.
Mossgiel Tunnel Platform
| Sorn 1,2|
Gilmilnscroft Colliery Pit No 1
Gilmilnscroft Colliery Pit No 4
Gilmilnscroft Ironstone Pit
Gilmilnscroft Colliery Pit No 2
Gilmilnscroft Colliery Pit No 3
Barony Power Station
Barskimming Quarry [1st]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/03/1903||Catrine Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Line opened. Catrine station opened.
|03/05/1943||Catrine Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Catrine to Mauchline (Brackenhill Junction) closed to passengers.
|06/07/1964||Catrine Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Catrine to Mauchline (Brackenhill Junction) closed to freight.