Clydebridge Steel Works Junction

Location type


Name and dates

Clydebridge Steel Works Junction (1887-1989)

Opened on the Rutherglen and Coatbridge Branch (Caledonian Railway).


This was the junction and exchange sidings for the Clydebridge Steel Works. The works started in 1887 on the west bank of the River Clyde, just across the river from the Clyde Iron Works and north of the Rutherglen and Coatbridge Branch (Caledonian Railway) which had sidings serving the works.

Before the works opened the Clyde Bridge, carrying a mineral line from near Cambuslang station, crossed the river here to reach the Clyde Iron Works. The alignment was further north than the present railway bridge.

Initially the site was served by loops on the north side of the line west of the bridge over the Clyde. A line ran north east to parallel the river bank's north-south alignment, from which part of the works were reached by reversal. From 1892 a signal box was provided on the south side of the line opposite the loops. The works remained in operation until over production in the steel industry led to its agreed closure in 1912.

With expansion of the works in to the west in 1916-17, following the take over by David Colville and Sons Ltd, a new set of sidings was laid out between Rutherglen Junction and the signal box. Lines from this ran north east between the old (east) and new (west) parts of the works to, once again by reversal, reach part of the new works.

Later, in 1938, a connection in the northern part of the works crossed a works bridge over the Clyde to reach the Clyde Iron Works (taken over by Colvilles in 1931). This carried a hot metal road and the steel works was re-equipped.

Clydebridge Steel Works signal box closed in 1957 when signalling was taken over the the Clyde Iron Works Signal Box (closed 1980). From 1973 the remaining main line loop and line into the works was under control of Glasgow Central Power Box.

Clyde Iron Works closed in 1977/78 due to the closure of the open hearth furnace at Clydebridge. Although steel production had ceased Clydebridge remained open.

Railway access ceased in the 1980s. Some of the sidings were still in place until around 1989.