Earnock Junction

Location type

Junction


Name and dates

Earnock Junction

Opened on the Hamilton and Strathaven Railway.


Description

This was the junction for the mineral line to Earnock Quarry, Stewartfield Quarry and Hartfield Quarry. From the junction the siding ran north east, passed through a loop, swung over the main line and ran west to a reversing spur with a loop near Udston. From there it continued to the quarries.

As shown in the 1897 OS map there was a signal box at the junction, on the north/east side of the line. There were catch points downhill on the southbound line.

By the 1912 map the box was on the south/west side. The catch points were gone but a trailing crossover had been installed at the junction. The box closed in 1917. The main line closed in 1953.

The site is now overgrown and is now a footpath.

The location was between High Blantyre (to the north) and Meikle Earnock stations. (Townhill Signal Box was a little to the north.)

11/07/2019

Tags

Junction signal box footpath flyover

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map