High Blantyre (1863-1945)
Opened on the Hamilton and Strathaven Railway.
This was a two platform station on a double track line. The station buildings were typical Caledonian Railway style with a footbridge at the north end. Hunthill Junction was not far to the north.
There was a signal box at the south end of the station on the west side and sidings on both sides, both groups approached from the south. A branch ran east from Sydes Siding to Blantyre Colliery Pit No 2 from which there was a connection to the Glasgow, Bothwell, Hamilton and Coatbridge Railway. A tramway ran south west to another pit.
The station closed to passengers in 1945. The line south to Meikle Earnock closed in 1953. The box closed in 1957 when the line was singled. The railway closed altogether in 1960.
The station site has been cleared and is now occupied by housing. Some hints of the former bridge over the B7102 to the north of the station remain. The branch to Blantyre Colliery Pit No 2 is now obliterated by the A725.
Calderwood Glen Platform
Bothwell [North British]
Meikle Earnock Halt
Other railway and industry locations
Blantyre Pits Signal Box
Blantyre Colliery Pit No 2
Rotten Calder Viaduct
Blantyre Colliery Pit No 4
Blantyre No 4 Pit Box
Priestfield Colliery No 1
Blantyre Colliery Pit No 3
Auchinraith Colliery Pits Nos 1 and 2
Birdsfield Wagon Works
Birdsfield Tile Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|