Strathaven [Flemington] (1863-1904)
Opened on the Hamilton and Strathaven Railway.
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This was the terminus of the line from Hamilton. The station was at Flemington, just to the north east of Strathaven.
The passenger station, with a trainshed, was on the east side and goods yard, with a goods shed, on the west side. On the east of the passenger portion was a loop with a turntable, serving a locomotive shed. The passenger station was an island, with the line on the east side entering the trainshed and a shorter line on the west side.
North of the station, on the north side of the East Overton Farm overbridge and on the west side of the line, was the signal box. The opened in 1893 and closed in 1904.
In 1904 the station was replaced by a new station. A new line from Whiteshawgate Junction, to the north, passed down the east side of the station serving the new Strathaven North station before continuing south over two viaducts to Strathaven Central station.
After 1904 the terminus became a goods yard, known as Flemington, and a few extra sidings were laid in and locomotive shed replaced.
After closure the site became a council depot. The station site is now a housing estate.
Meikle Earnock Halt
Other railway and industry locations
Strathaven Viaduct [North]
Strathaven Viaduct [West]
Strathaven Viaduct [East]
Cot Castle Goods
Stonehouse South Junction
Stonehouse West Junction
Stonehouse East Junction
Cot Castle [Castle]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|