Townhill Signal Box

Location type

Place


Name and dates

Townhill Signal Box (-1908)

Opened on the Hamilton and Strathaven Railway.


Description

This signal box was located between Udston Box (to the north, a box south of High Blantyre) and Earnock Junction (to the south, a box north of Meikle Earnock). There was a loading bank served by sidings north and south off a short loop on the west side of the line. The box was on the south of Wellhall Road, on the east side of the line.

There were several farms nearby with variations on the name Townhill. Earnock House was to the east.

The box closed in 1908 and line in 1953.

The northern part of the site has been built over with housing. Going south the trackbed is now a footpath.

12/08/2019

Tags

Signal box footpath