Ferguslie Signal Box

Location type

Junction


Name and dates

Ferguslie Signal Box (1885-1979)


Description

This signal box was on the Paisley Canal line just east of its western end at Canal Junction [Elderslie]. The box was on the south side of the line just west of Fulbar Road. The Paisley and Barrhead District Railway passed underneath just to the west.

Going west the lines were, from north to south:
- headshunt for Ferguslie Goods
- east and westbound lines
- slow westbound (installed when the lines through Elderslie were quadrupled after the Kilbarchan loop opened)

Going east:
- a siding for the Ferguslie Fireclay Works
- Ferguslie Goods
- east and westbound lines
- sidings on the south side, approached from the west

The box opened with the line in 1885 and was probably replaced around the time the Kilbarchan line opened.

It was replaced with a ground frame in 1979 after burning down.

The trackbed is now a footpath, the goods yard is a housing estate.


Tags

Junction signal box footpath