Forfar [1st] (1838-1848)
Forfar (Playfield) (1848-1848)
Opened on the Arbroath and Forfar Railway.
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This was the terminus of the Arbroath and Forfar Railway in Forfar. The station was replaced by Forfar [2nd] on the opening of the Scottish Midland Junction Railway and the re-gauging of the Arbroath and Forfar Railway.
The station was in the 'V' of the junction between Victoria Street and Carseburn Road at Windmill Brae, somewhat closer to the town than the later station which was on the northern outskirts.
The station building presented two storeys to the street and a single storey to the railway.
The 'playfield' may be the East Greens, a drying or bleaching green, and now largely a car park with a small playing field. The addition of 'playfield' was probably after the site closed to passengers to become a goods yard.
Other railway and industry locations
Canmore Jute Works
Station Linen Works
Forfar Shed [1st]
Forfar North Junction
Forfar South Junction
Turfbeg Road Bridge
Clocksbriggs Oil Depot
Clocksbriggs Oil Sidings
Loch of Forfar
Bowman^s Level Crossing
St Orland^s Stone
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|04/12/1838||Arbroath and Forfar Railway|
Leysmill to Forfar officially opened. Stations opened at: Leysmill, Friockheim, Guthrie, Auldbar Road, Clocksbriggs, Forfar (Playfield).
|07/08/1846||Arbroath and Forfar Railway|
Friockheim to Forfar (Playfield) doubling contract let, contractor David Murray.
|02/08/1848||Arbroath and Forfar Railway|
Forfar (Playfield) closed to passengers replaced by Forfar [2nd] on the Scottish Midland Junction Railway.