Glenboig

Location type

Station

Name and dates

Glenboig (1879-1956)

Opened on the Caledonian Railway.

Description

This was a two platform station building just to the north east of Garnqueen North Junction where the line north divides for Glasgow and Coatbridge. To the immediate north was the Star Fireclay Works and the village is to the west of the station^s site.

The station opened in 1879, giving Glasgow bound passengers a choice of Buchanan Street or the new Glasgow Central.

The main station building was on the southbound platform, but both platforms had sizeable buildings. The junction signal box was at the south end of the northbound platform.

The goods yards was a single siding at the rear of the northbound platform at its north end. This siding was from the lines for the Star Fireclay Works which connected to the northbound line north of the station.

The station closed in 1956 and the buildings and platforms cleared.

Tags

Station
05/05/2020



Books


An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways

Caledonian Dunalastairs and Associated Classes (Locomotive Monograph)

Caledonian in LMS Days (Railways in Retrospect)

Caledonian Railway

Caledonian Railway Carriages

Caledonian Railway Livery: The True Line Elegance and Style

Caledonian Railway Wagons & Non-Passenger Coaching Stock

Caledonian Routes 3: Stirling to Crianlarich - DVD - Oakwood Press

Caley to the Coast: Rothesay by Wemyss Bay (Oakwood Library of Railway History)

Callander & Oban Railway Through Time

Callander and Oban Railway (Library of Railway History)

Signalling the Caledonian Railway

The Caledonian Railway 'jumbos' the 18in. X 26in. 0-6-0s

The Caledonian, Scotland's Imperial Railway: A History

The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)

Through Scotland with the Caledonian Railway

Vanished Railways of West Lothian