This is the southern junction of a triangular junction formed by Haymarket West Junction (west), Haymarket Central Junction (east) and Gorgie Junction (south).
The signal box was in the 'V' of the junction.
On the east side was a loop - the siding for the North British Distillery to the north and the Edinburgh Brewery to the south.
On the west side was the approach to the Gorgie Cattle Market Branch (North British Railway), Gorgie East Goods and Gorgie Mills. The box was replaced in 1897.
The box closed in 1975 and junction simplified. Control passed to Haymarket.
The suburban line is used as a goods bypass for Edinburgh Waverley which approaches by the west junction. Formerly the east junction was used by a circular passenger service. The west curve is double track and east is now singled due to less regular use.
Murrayfield Stadium [Tram]
| Gorgie Tram Depot|
Gorgie East Goods
Gorgie East Minerals
Tynecastle Bridge Signal Box
Haymarket Central Junction
Haymarket West Junction
North British Distillery
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|