Greenock Engine Sheds Signal box (-1885)
Greenock John Street Signal Box (1885-1906)
Opened on the Glasgow, Paisley and Greenock Railway.
The Glasgow, Paisley and Greenock Railway main works and engine sheds were located at Greenock, close to the terminus. Opening around 1841 with the line.
The railway east of the terminus runs on a raised embankment and crosses over many roads. Fitted in here was a pair of sidings close to St John Street (now John Street) approached from the west and on the south side of the line. The site appears minimal in the Ordnance Survey town plan of 1857 but considerably larger in later Post Office maps which appear to show a series of sidings radiating out from a central turntable, roundhouse in style, bounded by John Street to the south. The site absorbed the site housing previously in the block to expand.
The Caledonian Railway took control of the line in 1846. The works were replaced by those at St Rollox Works in 1856. The locomotive shed was finally moved to a better site at Ladyburn Shed in 1885.
There was a signal box for the original shed site. This remained in use for the sidings at John Street and closed in 1906.
Greenock Cathcart Street [1st]
Greenock Princes Pier [1st]
Greenock Princes Pier [2nd]
Other railway and industry locations
Greenock John Street Signal Box
Greenock Works and Shed
Greenock Central Signal Box
Cartsburn Shipbuilding Yard
Balwhirley Tunnel North
Balwhirley Tunnel South
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|