Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.Station code: HST National Rail ScotRail
This is a two platform station located in a dressed stone cutting with a street level ticket office.
The station replaced the College [1st] terminus, immediately to the south which became a carriage shed and stables.
To the north of the station was High Street Goods of the North British Railway (originally the NB's College Goods of the College station) and to the south (of the former terminus) College Goods of the Glasgow and South Western Railway.
College Passenger Signal Box opened with the station in 1886. This was replaced by Bridgeton Cross North Junction box in 1892 when the branch to Bridgeton Cross [NB] opened.
At the east end of the station was Bridgeton Central Junction between the Airdrie and Bridgeton [Central] (now closed) routes. At the west end the line runs in a tunnel to Glasgow Queen Street Low Level.
The station was renamed High Street in 1914, incurring the wrath of the Railway Clearing House as there were already several stations of this name. The NB would not rename it Glasgow High Street.
The street level buildings have been replaced.
Glasgow Cathedral is to the north of the station.
Glasgow Queen Street Low Level
Glasgow Queen Street High Level
Glasgow St Enoch
Buchanan Street [Subway]
St Enoch [Subway]
| High Street Goods|
Bridgeton Central Junction
St Johns Junction
College Goods Signal Box [GSWR]
High Street Tunnel
College North Junction
Barrack Street Tunnel
High Street Goods Signal Box
High Street Junction
Barracks Mineral Yard
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|15/03/1886||Glasgow City and District Railway|
Yorkhill (Finnieston East Junction) to Glasgow Queen Street Low Level to High Street (College East Junction) opened. A third rail was used for train lighting.
|01/01/1914||Glasgow City and District Railway|
College [2nd] renamed High Street.