Hyde Park Works [1st] (1837-1861)
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
In 1837 Kerr, Mitchell and Neilson moved to Hyde Park Street to open the Hyde Park Foundry to replace the much smaller works at McAlpine Street the business started at in 1836. The company manufactured marine and stationary steam engines. Notably they manufactured stationary engines for the Cowlairs Incline of the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.
Hyde Park Quay, on the River Clyde, was just to the south.
After several years of instability the company started building locomotives. In 1861 the company moved to a new site, the Hyde Park Works [2nd] in Springburn.
Shields Road [Subway]
Charing Cross [GC and DR]
Central Station Broomielaw Hoist
Glasgow Central Low Level
West Street [Subway]
Shields Road [GPJ]
Shields Road [CGU]
Kinning Park [Subway]
Other railway and industry locations
Lancefield Diesel Engine Works
General Terminus Quay
Stobcross Street Tunnel
Stobcross East Junction
South Dock Foundry
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|