Kings Inch (1903-1926)
Opened on the Glasgow and Renfrew District Railway.
This was an island platform station with a goods yard on the west side, approached from a loop on the west side of the station. Access to the station was by a subway at the north end (the station was to the south of Station Road). The station building was canopied. The King's Inch, for which the station is named, was to the north.
This station was the closest to the town centre of Renfrew, unlike Renfrew Ferry by the River Clyde and Renfrew Fulbar Street on its western edge. It was briefly known as 'Renfrew Central' between June and August 1903.
In addition to the lines on either side of the platform there was the additional loop on the west side of the northbound platform. The approach to the goods yard was connected to the south end of this loop.
There was a generous goods yard on the west side, approached from the Glasgow direction. This had a loading bank to the west and goods shed to the east. The loading bank line had a headshunt and the yard altogether had a long headshunt.
The signal box opened with the station. This was at the south end of the station, on the west side of the island platform with the goods yard to its west.
The station lost its passenger service in 1926, probably due to the competing tram network. The station building was lost and the line singled (the east side of the station, the Glasgow bound platform line, being lifted).
The signal box closed in 1932.
The Renfrew Cable Works opened to the east, reached by a siding on the south side of the line and approached from the station.
The line east closed in 1962 (cut back to Deanside), to the west it closed in 1964 (cut back to the Great War connection of 1916 at Renfrew Porterfield.
The passenger station site is now the houses on the east side of Anne Avenue and the goods yard was replaced by the housing on the west side.
A portion of bridge abutment survives on the west side of Ferry Road, now the front wall of a garden.
The station was built on the western edge of the ground of Elderslie House and obliterated the southern end of the canalised Pudzeoch Burn.
Renfrew Fulbar Street
Other railway and industry locations
Clyde Trust Siding
Blythswood Signal Box
Braehead Power Station
Yoker Power Station
Yoker Green Road Junction
Engineering and Shipbuilding Works
Clydebank Dock West Junction
Renfrew Cable Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|