The racecourse at Lanark, to the east of the town, opened in 1908. This station was built to serve the racecourse.
The station was built on the 1864 Douglas Branch (Caledonian Railway), later extended on to Muirkirk in 1875.
The line reduced to a single track south of Smyllum South Junction (which was Douglas Junction South moved a little further south). The line crossed the A73 as a single track and then entered the two platform station, which had a loop on the east side. The brick built signal box which controlled the station loop and Smyllum South Junction was located in the station, on the west (northbound) platform. It opened in 1910 to replaced the Smyllum South Junction box.
Services to Muirkirk [2nd] ceased in 1964 when the station also closed. Some use may have continued until line closure.
The signal box closed in 1965 when the curve to Smyllum West Junctionwas taken out. The line remained open to Douglas Colliery until 1968.
The station site is now very overgrown but portions of the timber platforms can be found. The racecourse itself is also closed.
A minor road bridge to the south of the station, which crosses the line on an oblique, is 'B' listed.
| Smyllum South Junction|
Smyllum East Junction
Smyllum West Junction
Caledonian Mineral Oil Works
New Lanark Mills
Silvermuir South Junction
Cleghorn Clay Pit
Cleghorn Terra-Cotta Works
Lanark Race Course
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|09/08/1910||Douglas Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Lanark Racecourse opened. Some doubling of the Douglas Branch to Lanark Racecourse took place in preparation for the Lanark Aviation meeting and the huge number of expected visitors. Lanark Racecourse station was by the meeting site.
|18/10/1965||Douglas Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Lanark Racecourse to Smyllum West Junction closed to freight but is retained for turning engines.
|19/12/1965||Douglas Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Lanark Racecourse to Smyllum West Junction ceases to be used for engine turning.
|15/01/1968||Douglas Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Douglas Colliery to Ponfeigh, Lanark Racecourse and Smyllum East Junction (excluded) closed to freight.