This was a single platform station was a passing loop. The platform was on the west side of the line with a small timber building in Caledonian style.
The goods yard was in the ^V^ of the junction, with a goods shed and loading bank. The yard was approached from the north.
There was a signal box at the north end of the platform.
The Douglas Colliery branch came off from the north end of the station. This opened around 1898. This branch ran parallel but at a higher level to the east. It was approached from the north.
The line closed to passengers in 1964. The railway beyond Poneigh to Muirkirk [2nd] also closed in 1964.
The signal box was closed in 1966, the line remained open for the colliery.
Douglas Colliery closed in 1967 and was completely abandoned in 1968. With this the railway closed.
The station site remained intact, without buildings, for many years. It has been cleared (~2016).
A note on the name. The station was called Ponfeigh because when built it served a village of that name some way to the south east. Douglas Water was developed later after the Douglas Colliery was built, which explains why the station has the ^wrong name^.
| Douglasdale Coal Pits|
Rigside Signal Box
Lintfield Bank Siding
Alton Heights Junction Sidings
Alton Heights Junction
Auchren Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|05/10/1964||Muirkirk Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Douglas Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Muirkirk [2nd] to Ponfeigh (excluded) closed to all traffic. Douglas Colliery branch remains open.
|15/01/1968||Douglas Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Douglas Colliery to Ponfeigh, Lanark Racecourse and Smyllum East Junction (excluded) closed to freight.