Levenseat Junction (-1949)
Opened on the Cleland and Midcalder Line (Caledonian Railway).
This was the junction for the lime workings south east of Fauldhouse. (Nearby, to the west, was Mouldron Junction for the iron ore mines to the south of Fauldhouse.)
From this junction two curves ran to the private Levenseat Railway. This line started at Crofthead station (on the Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway) and ran east then south to the Levenseat Lime Works and Levenseat Quarries on the northern slopes of Levenseat. The line began as a private railway and became a North British Railway branch.
There was a signal box on the Caledonian Railway line. This was to the south of the double junction for the two curves. Both curves were approached from the east. The northern curve had tip sidings on its east side, approached from the junction.
The box closed in 1949. The Levenseat Railway survived until around 1966.
The main line remains open, a double track electrified railway. The lime works also remains open.
Fauldhouse and Crofthead
Other railway and industry locations
Levenseat Lime Works
Crofthead Sandstone Quarry
Greenburn Ironstone Pit
Eastfield Iron Mine No 3
Crofthead Iron Mine No 7
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|