This was a single platform station in the village of Locharbriggs. The station was overshadowed by the considerable Locharbriggs Quarries (sandstone) which were rail served and to the north west of the station.
The station platform and building were on the east side of the line, just north of the bridge over Quarry Road. The station building was in timber with a canopy.
On its east side was the goods yard, which was approached from the north. At the point of connection was the signal box (opened 1894) also on the east side.
A long stabling siding ran up the west side of the station, starting from the overbridge to the south, and continued north for some way. On the west side there were two lines into Locharbriggs Quarries, both approached from the south. The southern of these was alongside the south end of the platform and the second of these at the north end of the platform. The former ran into the southern part of the quarry directly, the northern curved passed the east side before splitting into two portions serving the northern and central part of the quarry.
To the north was a further siding, also on the west side, which served Knowehead Quarry from the north.
The box closed in 1935 and was replaced with a ground frame. Lines within the quarry had been modified by this time, only the southern of the two connections remaining to serve the brick works within the quarry site. Various parts of the site were reached from the siding, now a reversing spur running up the west side of the quarry.
The station closed to passengers in 1952. Latterly there was no connection to the quarry and the goods yard was lifted. The line itself closed in 1966.
The site of the station is now houses, although to the south the trackbed is a footpath. The northern part of the quarries remain in operation.
| Locharbriggs Quarries|
Heathhall Rubber Works
Heathhall Farm Bridge
Cairn Valley Junction
Dumfries Goods Junction
Maxwelltown Goods Junction
Dumfries St Mary's Shed [CR]
Maxwelltown Creamery Siding
Guillyhill Level Crossing
Lincluden Collegiate Church
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|