This reconstruction of William Beardmore & Co^s Mossend Iron and Steelworks was due to the demands of Great War and was in part supported by the Ministry of Munitions. The new works was laid out to the west of the existing works and was on a considerably greater scale. Reconstruction was around 1915.
The works closed in 1928 and was sold to Colvilles Ltd in 1934.
The main building from this period still stands, in different use.
Bothwell Park Halt
Calder Iron Works [Station]
| Mossend Iron and Steel Works|
Mossend Concrete Works
Mossend West Junction
Mossend Coal Yard
Mossend No 1 Junction
Mossend No 3 Junction
Mossend Marshalling Yard
Mossend Gas Siding
Mossend North Junction
Hattonrig Colliery Pits Nos 3 and 4
Engine Pit (Coal)
Milnwood Colliery Pits Nos 1 and 2
Rise Pit (Coal)
Thankerton No 1 Colliery
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1915||William Beardmore & Co Ltd|
Construction of new Mossend Steel Works begins. The new works was larger and west of the original Mossend Iron and Steel Works which was demolished.
|/ /1922||Glasgow Iron and Steel Co|
Wishaw Steel Works closed, due to William Beardmore & Co Ltd having redeveloped at Mossend to produce the new Mossend Steel Works around 1915.
|/07/1928||William Beardmore & Co Ltd|
Mossend Steel Works closed.
|/05/1932||William Beardmore & Co Ltd|
Price discussed for selling the closed Mossend Steel Works.
Mossend Steel Works bought from William Beardmore & Co Ltd.