This halt was opened for a military review in 1908. It was to the east of a large lattice bridge over the Newhaven Road/Pilrig Street and Broughton Road/Bonnington Road crossroads. The line was raised on an embankment here. The halt's name may have been Pilrig rather than Pilrig Street.
At the east end of the station the lines to the unopened Leith Walk [CR] and Leith Walk West Goods separated, access to the goods being from the west.
Rosebank Cemetery is to the south west.
The line was singled in 1917, however Pilrig Street was located on the loop between Bonnington (Rosebank) Goods (west) and Leith Walk West Goods.
Quick notes that the station appeared in the official handbook of stations for 1904, 1912, 1925 and is marked delete for 1927.
The line closed to the west in 1966, after cutting back Pilrig was the site of the reversing spur for Leith Walk West Goods. The line east closed in 1968. Access had latterly been from South Leith.
Leith Walk [CR]
Newhaven [Leith New Lines]
York Place [Tram]
| Victoria Brass Foundry|
Midlothian Oatmeal Works
Weldun Boiler Works
Rosebank Iron Works
Bonnington Bridge Paper Works
Bonnington (Rosebank) Goods
Graham Street Junction
Bowling Green Street Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1908||Leith New Lines (Caledonian Railway)|
Pilrig Street, a temporary station, opened for a Military review.