This was a single platform station. There was a loading bank on the south side, giving the appearance, almost, of a two platform two track station. The village of Rankinston developed around the station.
To the east, over Rankinston Viaduct, was Rankinston Junction which led west over the viaduct to the loading bank and, in particular, the Merry and Cunningham owned mineral line to the south. Continuing east the line crossed a second Rankinston viaduct and continued on to reach Belston Junction.
The signal box opened with the station in 1884. It was on the south side of the line, directly east of Rankinston Viaduct.
To the west of the station was Littlemill Colliery No 1, the line continuing west to Holehouse Junction.
The Belston Junction to Holehouse Junction line was built to carry minerals to the Dalmellington Iron Works at Waterside.
The station closed in 1950 and the box in 1951. The line itself remained open from Belston Junction to Littlemill Colliery No 1 until 1975.
Cairntable Halt [Knockshinnoch]
Craigmark Pit No 4
Benbain No 3 Pit
Sillyhole Coal Pit Nos 1,2,3,4,5
Sillyhole Pit No 6
| Rankinston Junction|
Littlemill No 1 Pit
Rankinston No 3 Coal
Littlemill No 2 Pit
Littlemill Colliery Pits Nos 2,3,5
Strange formation - railway?
Rankinston No 1 Pit
Rankinston No 2 Pit Ironstone
Bowhill (Patna) No 2 Pit Ironstone
Bowhill (Patna) No 1 Pit Ironstone
Polquhairn 5,6 Collieries
Polquhairn 1,4 Collieries
Kerse No 4 | Bowhill (Patna) No 3 Pit
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|03/04/1950||Ayr to Mauchline Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Holehouse Junction to Rankinston to Belston Junction closed to passengers.