This marshalling yard was on the eastern approaches to Glasgow at Robroyston. Its opening allowed the marshalling of trains to and from Glasgow Buchanan Street Goods and locations along the Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway, which opened just before the yard. Robroyston station opened around the same time, partly to serve the local area but also the yard.
The yard was on the north side of the line. It consisted of two sets of dead end sorting sidings (those to the west accessed from the east and those to the east accessed from the west) and a goods line running west to Balornock Junction. Access to the yard was controlled by Robroyston West Junction and Robroyston East Junction. The east and west sidings had headshunts, the east sidings having a rising pair of headshunts.
In the middle of the yard, between the west and east sidings, a long footbridge crossed the line and yard. This footbridge was considerably longer than was necessary to allow future expansion. The bridge was just west of the former station, with no connection to the platforms. The bridge was replaced with a shorter version but was removed during electrification.
The yard was largely lifted by closure in 1967, the double track goods loop between the west and east boxes being the last portion.
The yard site became overgrown and tree covered.
Some of the site is to be used for the new Robroyston station.
St Rollox [2nd]
| Robroyston East Junction|
Robroyston West Junction
Robroyston Coal Pit
Robroyston Brick Works
Robroyston Brick and Tile Works
Milton Junction [Glasgow]
Wester Auchengeich Colliery
Steps Road Carriage Shed
Anchor Chemical works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|11/03/1896||Hamiltonhill Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Robroyston Marshalling Yard and Colliery Branches (Caledonian Railway)|
Balornock Junction to Robroyston Yard opened.