Ruchill Hospital (1900-1998)
Opened on the Hamiltonhill Branch (Caledonian Railway).
In 1894 a goods only branch opened from Possil Junction and petered out in a field not far from Hamiltonhill Basin. This was the Hamiltonhill Branch (Caledonian Railway) which had been intended to serve a goods depot.
The branch did find use when Ruchill Hospital opened next to an existing wash house and disinfection station alongside the end of the line. Construction of the hospital began in 1895 and it opened in 1900.
The hospital was served by a siding which was reached by reversal from the end of the line.
The line closed in 1963. The hospital itself closed in 1998.
Possilpark and Parkhouse
St Georges Cross [Subway]
Other railway and industry locations
North Western Engineering Works
Firhill Timber Basin
Possil Old Quarries
Lochburn Iron Works
Lochburn Signal Box
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|