Wemyss Bay Junction

Location type

Junction

Name and dates

Wemyss Bay Junction (1865-)

Station code: National Rail
Opened on the Glasgow, Paisley and Greenock Railway.
Opened on the Greenock and Wemyss Bay Railway.

Description

This junction is west of Port Glasgow station. It is the junction between the Glasgow to Greenock line (the 1841 Glasgow, Paisley and Greenock Railway) and the 1Wemyss Bay line (the 865 Greenock and Wemyss Bay Railway).

The Wemyss Bay line was originally single track, the line doubling before reaching the junction. The signal box was on the south side of the junction. The line was doubled in 1902 and the signal box replaced. The junction is on a bridge over the Devol Burn.

The signal box was replaced by the Paisley Panel Box in 1967, in preparation for electrification. The Wemyss Bay route was reduced to a single track again.

Tags

Junction



Books


Caley to the Coast: Rothesay by Wemyss Bay (Oakwood Library of Railway History)