This is a two platform station with a fine large glazed canopy on the Glasgow bound platform, slightly smaller canopy on the Gourock bound platform, a covered walkway to Princes Street and a traditional covered footbridge.
The station was rebuilt in this grand style and a bay platform added at the west end of the westbound platform between 1913 and 1940 (the bay has been removed).
The signal box was at the east end of the station on the westbound platform. There was a trailing crossover at either end of the station in addition to the bay platform.
The station did not have a goods yard alongside, this was further east at Port Glasgow Goods.
The box closed in 1966.
Upper Port Glasgow
Greenock Cathcart Street [1st]
Greenock Princes Pier [2nd]
Greenock Princes Pier [1st]
| Port Glasgow Graving Dock|
Port Glasgow East Dock
Port Glasgow West Dock
Port Glasgow Harbour
Port Glasgow Wet Dock
Bay Shipbuilding Yard
Gourock Rope Works
Lower Port Glasgow Siding
Devol Glen Quarry
Port Glasgow Goods
Newark Castle [Port Glasgow]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1862||Glasgow, Paisley and Greenock Railway|
Port Glasgow branch opened.
|15/05/1865||Greenock and Wemyss Bay Railway|
Line opened from Port Glasgow through southern Greenock to Wemyss Bay. Stations at Upper Greenock, Ravenscraig, Inverkip and Wemyss Bay.
|02/06/1902||Greenock and Wemyss Bay Railway|
Port Glasgow to Upper Greenock doubled.
|09/01/1912||Glasgow, Paisley and Greenock Railway|
Rebuilding and expansion of Port Glasgow authorised.
Caley to the Coast: Rothesay by Wemyss Bay (Oakwood Library of Railway History)