This private railway connected the Govan Iron Works, 'Dixon's Blazes', to the Govanhill Colliery, quarries and slag tips.
|/ /1872||William Smith Dixon
Polloc and Govan Railway|
William Smith Dixon gives the railway permission to build a new locomotive shed (Polmadie Shed), so long as it did not disturb Dixons own railway (Govan Iron Works Railway) which ran through an old quarry and was used for dumping slag and a level crossing over Polmadie Road to part of the Govan Colliery.
|/ /1872||Govan Iron Works Railway|
Dixon's Private Railway or Govan Iron Works Railway authorised to pass underneath the Polloc and Govan Railway on a new alignment (replacing an older alignment) west of Polmadie Shed, running from Govan Iron Works (north) to the colliery (south).
These locations are along the line.
This iron works, initially for bar iron, was established by William Dixon (Junior) at Hutchesontown in Glasgow to the south of the River Clyde. It was known as 'Dixon's Blazes'. It was built near the Govanhill Colliery (owned by Dixon's father) on the south bank of the River Clyde near Glasgow and the Port Eglinton Basin of the Glasgow, Paisley and Ardrossan Canal.