This line is open. This is one of the most beautiful and wild railway lines in Britain.
Passenger services are provided by ScotRail between Wick, Thurso, Helmsdale and Inverness. Stations remain in use at Helmsdale, Kildonan, Kinbrace, Forsinard, Altnabreac, Scotscalder, Georgemas Junction, Thurso and Wick.
The line is supported and promoted by the Friends of the Far North Line .
|/ /1871||Sutherland and Caithness Railway|
Act receives Royal assent.
|28/07/1874||Sutherland and Caithness Railway|
Line opened from Helmsdale (Duke of Sutherlands Railway) to Wick with stations at Salzcraggie (Private), Kildonan, Kinbrace, Forsinard, Altnabreac, Scotscalder, Halkirk, Georgemas Junction, Hoy, Thurso, Bower, Watten, Bilbster and Wick.
|/ /1878||Sutherland and Caithness Railway|
Borrobol Platform opened.
|28/07/1884||Sutherland and Caithness RailwayHighland Railway|
Sutherland and Caithness Railway absorbed by Highland Railway.
|01/07/1903||Wick and Lybster Light Railway|
Line opened from Wick (Sutherland and Caithness Railway) to Lybster.
|24/05/1907||Sutherland and Caithness Railway|
Salzcraggie Platform opened to public.
|/ /1912||Wick Quarries|
Wick Quarries close. Many families emigrate using the [Sutherland and Caithness Railway].
|/ /1955||Sutherland and Caithness Railway|
Dounreay Nuclear Power Station site opened. Traffic goes by rail.
|13/06/1960||Sutherland and Caithness Railway|
Halkirk, Bower, Watten and Bilbster closed.
|/ /1962||Sutherland and Caithness Railway|
Helmsdale Shed and Wick Shed closed.
|10/09/1962||Sutherland and Caithness Railway|
Borrobol Platform renamed Borrobol.
|25/11/1965||Sutherland and Caithness Railway|
Salzcraggie Platform, Borrobol and Hoy closed.
These locations are along the line.
This is a two platform station with a passing loop on the Far North line. The main station building, of two storeys, is on the southbound platform. This has similarities to that at Golspie, by the same architect William Fowler. Platforms are linked by a typical Highland Railway lattice footbridge.
This two road shed was located just north of Helmsdale station to the west side of the line. Its turntable was to the west alongside the approach lines. A pair of short siding were a little further north alongside the turntable line.
This was a single platform halt on the Far North line. ...More details
This is a single platform station on the Far North line. The platform is on the east side of the line. There is a level crossing to the immediate south of the station.
This timber loading point is south of Kinbrace station, access by a dirt road from the west. ...More details
This is a single platform station, formerly with two platforms and a loop. The cottage style station building still stands, in use as a house. To the north is a level crossing. There is no car park.
This is a two platform station with a passing loop. It is separated from the goods yard to the south, which is now a permanent way siding, by a level crossing.
This is a one platform station on the Far North Line with a permanent way siding to the south on the east side of the line, the former goods yard.
This is a one platform (the former northbound platform) station on the Far North Line. The main station building still stands on the platform and there is a small car park.
This station was between Scotscalder, to the west, and Georgemas Junction. It was located at a level crossing to the south of the village of Halkirk. It is a curious situation: Halkirk with the only real population nearby is closed but Georgemas Junction and Scotscalder remain open.
This trolley shed was located on the line running south from Georgemas, on the south side of the line.
'The Georgemas' is the furthest north junction in Britain and is also a station. Here the lines to Wick and Thurso (accessed by reversal for a train from the south) divide. The station building remains standing, the ground floor formerly having been the offices and upper floor staff accommodation.
This single platform station is closed. It was located between Georgemas Junction (to the south) and Thurso. The platform was on the east side of the line immediately north of a level crosing. There was a signal box at the south end of the platform by the crossing.
This single road shed was on the east side of Thurso station and approached from the south.
This is a two platform station and is the furthest north station in Britain. The main platform, on the west side of the station's loop, is partly covered by the all-over timber roof of the station, a remarkable survivor, all the more remarkable that Wick has also survived. The other and shorter platform, without a loop, is on the west side of the island platform.
This was a single platform station located on the south side of the line.
This was a two platform station on the Far North Line with a passing loop. The former westbound track remains, the eastbound one having been lifted. Both platforms remain, out of use. The former station building is similar to that at Georgemas Junction and is now a house. A level crossing exists to the west of the former station.
This was a single platform station, located on the south side of the line, just east of a level crossing. Bilbster House was a little to the south.
This two road shed was located south of the station, approached from the west.
This is the end of the Far North Line from Inverness, the most distant station from the rest of the network. The furthest north station is Thurso. The station is to the south of the River Wick, in the west of the town. The town has a considerable harbour on Wick Bay, built for the once large fishing fleet.