This is a single platform station, formerly with two platforms and a loop. The cottage style station building still stands, in use as a house. To the north is a level crossing. There is no car park.
The building was on the southbound platform.
To the south of the station, on the east side of the line, was the goods yard. There was a goods shed, alongside the loop and loading banks on the east side, approached from the south.
The goods yard was equipped with a chute for loading deer carcasses onto trains (the product of the blood sport shooting season).
There were two signal boxes, opened in 1894. The north box was by the level crossing at the north end of the southbound platform. The south box was on the west side at the south end of the loop, opposite the goods yard turn out.
The boxes and loop were taken out in 1966. As the northbound platform was the straight through line and southbound the loop there has been a little realignment to straighten the line.
The goods yard remains, out of use, with its loading banks.
A timber loading point was established in recent years south of the station, Kinbrace Timber Loading.
Drifting snow was a problem to the north of this station. There were long lengths of snow fences (pallisaded former sleepers) and even a snow blower.
| Kinbrace Timber Loading|
Old Kinbrace Railway Cottage
Carbuie Railway Cottage
Kildonan Gold Rush
Limeside Railway Cottage
Kileanan Railway Cottage
County March Summit [Sutherland and Caithness]
Claiseag Railway Cottage
Loch an Ruathair
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|28/07/1874||Sutherland and Caithness Railway|
Line opened from Helmsdale (Duke of Sutherlands Railway) to Wick with stations at Salzcraggie (Private), Kildonan, Kinbrace, Forsinard, Altnabreac, Scotscalder, Halkirk, Georgemas Junction, Hoy, Thurso, Bower, Watten, Bilbster and Wick.