Silloth Battery Extension

This shallow cutting was the site of the two road Silloth Battery Extension terminus, opened in 1886 and closed, with the facility, in 1928. The passenger station was mainly used by staff at the battery but also occasionally by VIP guests of Armstrong-Whitworth viewing armaments demonstrations. Presumably the guns being tested were also brought by rail before going to naval customers. Behind the dune on the right a concrete bunker, possibly an ammunition store, still stands complete. Viewed from one of the public footpaths crossing the Silloth Golf Course.

Location: Silloth Battery Extension

Original line: Carlisle and Silloth Bay Railway and Dock

Photographer: Mark Bartlett

Contact photographer: Mark Bartlett

Contact editor

Date: 08/08/2024

Image number: 90390


Other photographs of Silloth Battery Extension on RailScot