Originally this was a single platform station on the east side of a single track line. There was a level crossing at the north end and a short goods siding at the south end on the east side, approached from the north.
The branch was extended north in 1885 by the Alloa Railway from Dunmore Junction. The line was doubled and station rebuilt. The road was lifted onto a road bridge, just to the north of the former level crossing. Two platforms were provided. A larger goods yard was laid out on the east side, approached from the southbound line, south of the station. There were buildings on each platform and a new station house (replacing one by the level crossing) provided to the west of the station. A signal box (1886) was at the south end of the station on the east side. The box opened when the line was doubled between Alloa Junction and Dunmore Junction.
The station closed to passengers in 1954. The box closed in 1967, the line closed to passengers in 1968 and as a through route to Alloa in 1970 with the closure of the Alloa Bridge. The line survived until 1978 for goods to RNAD Bandeath.
The road bridge remains intact. The station house remains intact. The site of the station is now a cattery and kennels.
Carnock House, demolished in 1941, was a mile to the north west.
The station was two miles west of Airth village itself. Airth Castle (now a hotel) was even further, another half mile on.
Falkirk Camelon [1st]
Clackmannan and Kennet
Larbert Clay Works
Stenhousemuir Signal Box
Carronhall Colliery William Pit
Carronhall Colliery Pit No 5
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1958||Airth Colliery|
The National Coal Board starts sinking a new mine by Airth station on the South Alloa Branch (Scottish Central Railway).
Scottish Central Railway (Oakwood Library of Railway History)