Blantyre Pits Signal Box

Location type

Sidings

Name and dates

Blantyre Pits Signal Box (1878-1932)

Opened on the Glasgow, Bothwell, Hamilton and Coatbridge Railway.

Description

This was the western end of the North British Railway's Blantyre branch (1878) from Blantyre Junction [NBR]. The Blantyre pits were already served by the Hamilton and Strathaven Railway. This was a link to the existing lines with a loop and signalling. The opening date of the box is uncertain. Closure was in 1932 after which the branch was not signalled. The west end at Blantyre Pits closed in 1968.

The site is obliterated by the East Kilbride Expressway and landscaping associated with its construction.

Tags

Signal box
01/08/2020

Dates

03/11/1932Glasgow, Bothwell, Hamilton and Coatbridge Railway
Blantyre Pits Signal Box closed.