This was a two platform station in a shallow cutting which did not open with the line. The timber ticket was elevated at street level, on the north side above the eastbound platform and there were waiting rooms on each platform. There was no goods yard.
The site was south of Commondyke Farm in an area mined from before the railway opened. Nearby were miners' rows such as Long Row, Commondyke Row and Dyke Row (to the north) and High Row (to the south east).
A private mineral line to Barglachan Pit (coal) from the Lugar Iron Works crossed over the railway just east of Commondyke station. The line was initially single track, doubled probably around 1883.
To the north west was a freestone quarry. This was later the site of the St Patrick's RC Chapel, Convent, Presbytery and School. The settlement was known as Birnieknowe. (Birnieknowe Farm was to the west and Birnieknowe Glen bordered the settlement to the north west.)
A tightly curved siding left the west side of what was later the station and turned north through Birnieknowe. A large tip was north of (behind) the Long Row. By this is a red sandstone cross with an inscription reading
At a distance of eight feet in front of this spot, the Rev. Sister Laurienne was accidentally killed on the 8th day of August, 1888.Nine years before the station opened she was crossing from the school (to the west) to check on a pupil at home (to the east) when she was struck by a mineral train driven by Johnnie Goodfellow. DL Smith recounts the story in his Tales of the Glasgow and South Western Railway.
Mossgiel Tunnel Platform
| Dykes Pit No 2|
Blackstone Branch Junction
Common Pit No 6
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|