Comrie Colliery (1939-1986)
Served by the Comrie Colliery Branch (Fife Coal Company).
This was a large underground mine opened in 1939 by the Fife Coal Company to the north west of Oakley. When opened it was a modern state of the art mine.
The mine was served by a new connection to the Kinnedar Branch (North British Railway). It was in an area formerly mined for iron ore and coal for the Fife Iron Works.
It had its own washery and a smokeless fuel plant.
This mine was the last served by the line from Dunfermline Upper and its closure led to closure of that line back to Townhill Junction. There was an exchange yard just north of Oakley on the branch.
Rumbling Bridge [2nd]
Rumbling Bridge [1st]
Other railway and industry locations
Ironstone Pit No 15
Ironstone Pit No 16
Coal and Ironstone Pit
Ironstone Pit No 12
Ironstone Pit No 13
Ironstone Pit No 14
Coal Pit No 4
Coal Pit No 17
Coal Pit No 1
Comrie Dean Viaduct
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|