Dolphinton [CR]

Location type


Name and dates

Dolphinton [CR] (1867-1945)

Opened on the Dolphinton Branch (Caledonian Railway).

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.


This was the terminus of the single track line from Carstairs, built to the west of the A702 which separated it from Dolphinton [NB], the terminus of the line from Leadburn. The village of Dolphinton is about two thirds of a mile south.

The terminus had a single platform on a loop. There was a small building, replaced around 1900, and a goods yard to the east, approached from the west from a reversing spur coming off the west end of the loop. At the end of this reversing spur was, after 1896, a turntable and, for a time, a single road locomotive shed which came from Dunblane. By 1906 there was a shed, closed in 1915 and removed by 1933.

The line was built in anticipation of coal traffic and as a blocking move to stop the North British Railway expanding to the west. Coal was short lived, Dolphinton No 1 Pit closed in 1885.

There was a connection between the lines. by continuance of the western line under the road to join the eastern line just east of its terminus. From the Caley station platform the rear of the NB station building could be seen under the road bridge.

The eastern line closed in 1933. The west line closed to passengers in 1945. The platform was cut back to immediately next to the station building. The line closed completely in 1950.

After closure the station site remained intact until the 1990s. The loading banks, goods office, platform, station building and railway cottages all remaining. The site was in use as a garden centre. In the 2000s a short length of track and a wagon were added on the former trackbed by the platform. The building was extended.

Today the site is largely cleared and housing built over the goods yard and west end of the station. A low mound of the east end of the platform remains.


Station terminus

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67