Drumbowie Junction (1864-1947)
Opened on the Cleland to Morningside Line (Caledonian Railway).
Opened on the Salsburgh Branch (Caledonian Railway).
This junction opened in 1864 when the Cleland to Morningside Line (Caledonian Railway) and its branch Salsburgh Branch (Caledonian Railway) opened.
To the west the line ran to Cleland Junction, north to Duntillan Colliery and Lanridge Colliery both were approach by the route south east to Newmains and the Coltness Iron Works.
There was a loop on the Cleland to Morningside alignment on the north side of the line. The Salsburgh branch started from the west end of the loop. There was a signal box. This was replaced in 1887. The box was on the south side of the line opposite the loop. Just to the east, and accessed from the junction, were Murdostoun Colliery Westwood Pits Nos 2 and 3.
The line north was met at Langbyres Junction by a curve from the Cleland and Midlcalder Line (Caledonian Railway) which opened in 1869.
In 1934 the line west to Cleland Junction closed and dismantled as far as Cleland [1st]. The signal box at Drumbowie was no longer required.
In 1947 line from Langbyres Junction (actually Cleland Hosptial) to Newmains was closed along with the stub running to Cleland [1st].
The location is now farm land and the alignments can still be seen.
Other railway and industry locations
Murdostoun Colliery Westwood Pits Nos 2 and 3
Murdostoun Colliery Westwood Pits No 1
Bellside Brick Works
Bellside Quarry Signal Box
Spindleside Colliery Pits Nos 6 and 7
North Shaws Colliery
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|