The platform level canopies and buildings at this station are gone, although low platform mounds remain. For the main platforms the style was similar to the buildings and canopies which survive at Gleneagles and Stirling stations.
This was the site of the Govan Poorhouse. It was originally a four platform station, two platforms on the route to Strathbungo Junction and two on the main line south, and rebuilt in 1908 into a six platform station when the lines from Eglinton Street Junction to Gushetfaulds Junction were quadrupled with the addition of an additional pair of lines on the east side.
A signal box, controlling both approaches to Eglinton Street Junction, stood on the east side of the Pollokshields East Junction or Cathcart Circle platforms and to the west of the main line platforms. This box, Eglinton Street Station, was modified in 1908 when a new Eglinton Street Junction box opened; the box ceased to control the main line approach. It closed in 1961 when Glasgow Central Power Box took over.
The station closed in 1965.
South Side [GB and NDR]
South Side [CR]
West Street [Subway]
Main Street Gorbals
Bridge Street [Subway]
Shields Road [CGU]
Shields Road [Subway]
Shields Road [GPJ]
| Eglinton Street Shed|
Eglinton Street Junction
Port Eglinton Goods
West Street Goods
West Street Junction [CR]
Port Eglinton Junction
Eglinton Street Tunnels
Port Eglinton Basin
Tradeston Gasworks No 3
West Street Tunnel
Salkeld Street Parcels Depot
South Side Carriage Shed
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|22/11/1877||Glasgow Central Station (Caledonian Railway)|
Approval for locomotive shed, Eglinton Street Shed, at Eglinton Street.
|/ /1887||Glasgow Central Station (Caledonian Railway)|
Authorisation to widen the line between Clyde Place (Bridge Street) and Eglinton Street.
|07/07/1890||Glasgow Central Station (Caledonian Railway)|
Widened Clyde Place (Bridge Street) to Eglinton Street opened.
|/ /1899||Glasgow Central Station (Caledonian Railway)|
Authorisation to quadruple line from Eglinton Street Junction through Eglinton Street to Central Station Junction.
|/ /1901||Glasgow Central Station (Caledonian Railway)|
Route of Eglinton Street new lines altered. Authorisiation to build longer Crawford Street bridge (now Kilbirnie Street) - new longer bridge built at an angle to original. Salkeld Street re-routed at its southern end. Victoria Street (now Stromness Street) shortened.
|28/02/1909||Glasgow Central Station (Caledonian Railway)|
Line quadrupled from Eglinton Street Junction through Eglinton Street to Central Station Junction. Enlarged Eglinton Street station opened.
|01/02/1965||Glasgow Central Station (Caledonian Railway)|
Eglinton Street station closed.