This station, on a steamer pier, was the terminus of a short double track branch from Fairlie Pier Junction.
The terminus opened as the terminus of an extension north through Fairlie Tunnel in 1882 to the pier. The line north to Largs opened from a junction with this line, at Fairlie Pier Junction just north of the tunnel, in 1885.
The station had a single island platform and a locomotive shed on the north side. The roof from Dunlop Street (precursor to Glasgow St Enoch) was re-used here.
An MOD site opened to the north and was also served from Fairlie Pier Junction.
The station closed in 1971 (officially 1972) and was finally demolished, along with the pier, in the mid 1980s. Nothing remains of the station or pier other than the shore reaching into the sea.
Dalry Junction [Station]
Wemyss Bay [1st]
Ardrossan Montgomerie Pier
| Fairlie Shed|
Fairlie Pier Junction
Hunterston Ore Terminal
Hunterston Low Level Sidings
Hunterston High Level Sidings
Hunterston Loading Bunker
Cumbrae Ferry Terminal
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1882||Largs Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Line extended through Fairlie Tunnel to Fairlie Pier.
|01/10/1971||Largs Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Fairlie Pier to Fairlie Pier Junction closed to passengers.
|31/07/1972||Largs Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Fairlie Pier to Fairlie Pier Junction officially closed to passengers.
Gourock to Largs Coast Through Time
Largs 1895: Ayrshire Sheet 03.12 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Ayrshire)
Old West Kilbride