This was the junction between the 1882 line to Fairlie Pier and the 1885 extension to Largs. Fairlie Pier was a steamer pier and Largs was in the town of Largs.
It was a double track junction. The signal box was on the east side of the junction. The junction was directly north of Fairlie Tunnel.
In the Second World War sidings were laid in the 'V' of the junction serving Fairle MOD Pier. These led off the pier line, close to the junction.
The pier closed in 1971.
The signal box closed in 1975, replaced with a ground frame. The frame remained for the MOD sidings until their closure after electrification in 1986. The line was singled for electrification.
Dalry Junction [Station]
Wemyss Bay [1st]
| Fairlie Shed|
Hunterston Ore Terminal
Hunterston Low Level Sidings
Hunterston High Level Sidings
Hunterston Loading Bunker
Poteath Signal Box
Cumbrae Ferry Terminal
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/10/1971||Largs Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Fairlie Pier to Fairlie Pier Junction closed to passengers.
|31/07/1972||Largs Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Fairlie Pier to Fairlie Pier Junction officially closed to passengers.
Gourock to Largs Coast Through Time
Largs 1895: Ayrshire Sheet 03.12 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Ayrshire)
Old West Kilbride