This is a two platform station. It was opened in the countryside to the south east of Hartwood Hospital. A small village has grown around the station site.
The main station building was on the westbound platform.
The hospital was served by a short branch. This was reached by reversing from the east end of the eastbound platform to a reversing spur to the north and west of the eastbound platform, then by a further reversing spur further north again before running west to reach the hospital's north side, passing Hartwood House. This branch is long closed, the part closest to the station now occupied by housing.
To the east was the loading point for the Ladylands Mines, to the north of the line and connected to it by a tramway.
The signal box here was originally named 'Bowhousebog', renamed Hartwood in 1894, replaced in 1898 and closed in 1964.
| Ladylands Colliery Loading|
Hartwoodhill Colliery Pit Nos 1 and 2
Hawkwoodburn Signal Box
Hillhouseridge Oil Works
Kingshill Colliery No 1
Cummins Engine Factory
Batonrigg Colliery Pit No 1
Hillhouserigg Coal and Ironstone Pit
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/05/1889||Cleland and Midcalder Line (Caledonian Railway)|
Hartwood station opened.
Vanished Railways of West Lothian